HOW TO GET YOUR HAIR VISION TRANSLATED
Hello and Happy New Year!
I thought I would address this particular topic, because I find that after 17 years as a cosmetologist, it comes up several times a year.
The subject in hand is COMMUNICATION between YOU the client and your STYLIST to get your vision translated. Whether you have a regular stylist or you have a new stylist, you probably all can relate to this subject.
I myself as a professional stylist have gone through these moments too! Lets face it, it’s hard enough communicating with people you know, let alone a person that you go to for your beauty services once a month or once every two or three months! I am going to attempt to give you some ideas on how to get your hair vision translated by your hairstylist in a much quicker, faster, or easier way for both sides.
1) Please don’t change your total look when in any kind of distress because 9 times out of 10, you will regret it!
2) Drastic changes are great for people who have changed their look on a whim before and liked it!
3) Look for a photo of a hairstyle and color that you’d like for yourself that shows a fairly good front and back shot and also a style that will fit your lifestyle. You also want to make sure that the hair type of the photo is close to your hair type. (ie: fine, course, thin, thick, curly, straight) These few tips alone will get you much closer to achieving your “vision” .
4) We all “WISH” a lot of things in our life but please make sure that it is a REALISTIC WISH THAT IS ATTAINABLE! (ie: Jet Black Hair cannot go ultra blonde safely without a lot of breakage. Most of us don’t have nor live the “Hollywood Lifestyle” and therefore, don’t have the time or funds to support a “HIGH MAINTENANCE” look.
5) Please be realistic. If your hair is very fine, please don’t try to grow your hair too long…still wanting lots of volume… while not having any layers…!!! (“just an over exaggeration to help you understand”)
6) Please let your hairstylist do his or her job by NOT interfering in the translation of YOUR VISION. The photo you supplied, is just a guide to all the things listed above that must be clarified to get you closer to YOUR VISION.
7) A lot of people sabotage their own vision by blocking their stylist from translating your vision to life. Trust that you are in the presence of a professional that has your best interest in mind along with all the above mentioned steps in communicating and wants to do everything possible to translate your vision in the best possible way that fits you as well as being a great advertisement for him or her! A good hairstylist always wants to give you the best results possible.
8) Always remember that what you really feel on the “inside” will come through on the “outside”. ( Beauty Styling should always be just an ENHANCEMENT of the BEAUTY you feel inside about yourself!!!) “WE ARE BEAUTICIANS…NOT MAGICIANS”
9) Final Note: A great stylist would be willing to offer advice on how you can better achieve the “total look”, that is appropriate for each individual client. Take this advice as us, the professional having true and total passion for his or her craft. “Remember that any extra effort, advice, or directions spent by your stylist is of no extra cost to you.” “IT IS PURE PASSION!!!”
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!
Metro Chic Salon & Boutique
6541 Raeford Rd suite 104
Fayetteville NC 28304